Two Orchard graduates and their family fell victim to a house fire last Friday in Norfolk.
Greg and Jamie Dempster, along with their four children and two of their children's significant others, are displaced after a fire consumed their house at 610 S Fourth Street in Norfolk.
Greg is a 1996 graduate of Orchard Public Schools and Jamie is a 1994 graduate.
According to a news release from Fire Captain John Reding, overheating and stress from electrical wiring appear to be the cause of the fire.
The Norfolk Fire Division responded to a 911 call at 2:43 p.m. with concerns of smoke and fire coming from the attic. Upon the department’s arrival, the family had evacuated the home safely.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the upper floor which suffered from heavy smoke and fire.
Most damage was to the roof and second floor. The home suffered over $60,000 in damage, with many personal belongings unsalvageable.
There were no injuries to residents or firefighters during the incident. Fire Marshal Terry Zwiebel and Fire Inspector Nate Wortman conducted the investigation and determined the cause being electrical wiring in the wall and attic. NPPD, Black Hills Gas and the Norfolk Police Department assisted during the fire.
The GoFundMe page has been set up for the Dempster family.
Greg Dempster said the family appreciates all of the prayers and assistance they’ve received since the fire.