TransCanada is withdrawing its application for the Nebraska portion of the Keystone XL pipeline, leaving a question if the pipeline will ever go through the state.
"We won. This is a good day for Nebraska - a good day for landowners across the state," said Art Tanderup of Neligh, of the state's most well-known pipeline fighters. "We're deeply exciting that TransCanada has decided to throw the towel in on KXL."
TransCanada filed an application to the Nebraska Public Service Commission last month but later asked the Obama administration to suspend its years-long review of the project.
Wednesday's announcement appears to halt the entire project, at least through the rest of President Obama's term, according to Tanderup.
"I see this as the end during the Obama administration," he said. "Depending on how the election comes out for president, they may or may not decide to reapply for a federal permit."
TransCanada spokesman Mark Cooper said the company decided it would be inappropriate to ask the PSC to continue working on the application as the company considers its next move.
“Although we are withdrawing the application at this time, we are reserving the right to reapply to the PSC at a later date and remain committed to completing the final leg of the Keystone pipeline system, that has already safely delivered over a billion barrels of Canadian and U.S. crude oil to the Midwest and Gulf Coast,” he said.