The Neligh Fire Department was called to a hay bale fire west of Neligh on Thursday morning.
The hay bales were located on the Koinzan Ranch. The fire department was also receiving air support assistance.
According to Fire Chief Mike Mortensen, the fire was caused by self combustion of the hay bales.
"They had moved them (bales) last week and I think what happened is they got wet then of course they build heat and ignite," Mortensen said.
The Neligh Fire Department and Neligh Rescue were called back to the site around 10:20 shortly after leaving the scene.
"We headed out and they were in the process of burying the debris," Mortensen said.
The excavator had broken down and the fire flared up and sparks ignited the stack once more.
"I was concerned about that anyways, where the bales were stacked they were in close proximity to each other," Mortensen added, "The wind being out of the north-northwest didn't help."
Dozens of volunteer fire fighters turned out to help, giving them an opportunity to use new equipment. However, two trucks reportedly failed on them. One of the trucks is already back in service and the other is said to be up and running as early as this weekend.
Mortensen said the fire resulted in a loss of about 200 bales, but no structures were damaged.